“In late 1901, the U.S. Navy sailed back into Charleston — and this time locals actually welcomed it.
The Navy Shipyard, as the base was initially called, transformed the city. Spread across 1,575 acres on the banks of the Cooper River, it would employ more than 1,700 locals in its first decade of operation.” To see the rest of Brian Hicks column “Charleston’s 1900s renaissance brought success…and violence.” CLICK HERE
This is the 32nd of Hicks’ columns celebrating 350 years of Charleston history. For links to all 32 (thus far) CLICK HERE