There’s some welcome news for history preservation buffs in this week’s Daniel Island News.
Lord Berkeley Conservation Trust Secures Conservation Easement Along Santee River and Historical Canal
By: Staff Report
“One of the last remaining sections of the 18th century Old Santee Canal and 645 acres of surrounding forestland including nearly two miles of Santee River frontage are now protected permanently. The Lord Berkeley Conservation Trust secured a conservation easement to protect the property.
Constructed between 1793 and 1800, the 22-mile Old Santee Canal connected the Santee and Cooper Rivers, providing direct access to Charleston from points inland. George Washington was an investor in the project.
The canal was used for less than 20 years, when droughts revealed faults in its design. Years later, much of the Canal was destroyed in the development of Lakes Marion and Moultrie. Today, only two segments remain, one at Old Santee Canal Park (a great day trip from Daniel Island) in Moncks Corner and a second, northwest of Pineville. The property now under permanent protection by conservation easement contains remnants of the canal and an original lock structure that remains mostly intact.” To read the entire DI NEWS article, CLICK HERE
And CLICK HERE for more from the Lord Berkeley Conservation Trust