The headline sums up Brian Hicks’ latet entry (#16) celebrating 350 years of Charleston history.
“When the grand Exchange opened at the foot of Broad Street in 1771, locals saw great potential in Charles Town’s new centerpiece.
The Palladian-style building was an architectural marvel, locals thought, perhaps even finer than Boston’s Faneuil Hall. It would serve as custom house, meeting space, perhaps even a market. But by 1774 it was, at least in part, a tea warehouse.”