Etiwan Park Trees


Extensive archeological studies of Daniel Island have found evidence that Native Americans lived and hunted here as early as 2,500 B.C. When the English settlers arrived in Carolina in 1670, they found the Etiwan tribe (Etiwan Park and Etiwan Street) (sometimes also spelled Ittiwan) lived primarily on Daniel Island, with their territory extending up to present-day Moncks Corner. To the south were the Kiawah. The Seewee occupied lands to the east, and the Wando and the Coosaw were located to the north and west of Daniel Island.

These coastal Native Americans accepted the English settlers, primarily in hopes that they could offer protection from the Spanish and their Native American allies, who frequently raided their settlements. They provided deer meat and corn to the settlers, who were not able to establish a local agricultural base that would feed the colony for several years.

(The above text was written by DIHS Co-Founder Michael Dahlman for an article that appeared in the April 12, 2007 edition of The Daniel Island News.)

Tree EP-1

Circumference: 9′ 9″

Canopy: 72″

Acorn

Live Oak Society Member #7598

Located:  Scott & Corn Planters Streets

Available for Adoption

Tree EP-2

Circumference: 8′ 10″

Canopy: 68″

Acorn

Live Oak Society Member #7599

Located:  Pool area, Beresford Creek St

Available for Adoption