Cochran Park Trees


The Cochran Park neighborhood is named after two “Cochran” families that owned land on Daniel Island in the 18th and 19th centuries. Thomas Cochran, Sr. (1749-1803) married Susannah Lesesne, a widow and the daughter of Isaac Lesesne’s son Henry James, in December of 1777. They acquired 171 acres from Hannah Lesesne in 1794, which was the same track that Robert Daniell had sold to Isaac Lesesne in 1709.

The Cochrans did not live on Daniel Island as was the custom of land owners following the war. He was both a planter and an agent engaged in commercial trade. They had six children, four sons and two daughters. Samuel (born June 1779) and John (born June 1781) both died in June 1808. Susannah Cochran did not remarry after Thomas’s death, and continued to lived in their 122 East Bay residence until her death on June 5, 1808. Thomas, Susannah, Samuel and John were all buried on Daniel Island in a quarter-acre plot that he set aside for his family that is adjacent to the Lesesne cemetery, located behind the Family Circle Cup tennis complex.

Charles Cochran (1776-1833) owned land on Daniel Island in the early 19th century. Charles was friends with both John Quincy Adams and the Marquis de Lafayette. He lived downtown on Meeting Street. By 1807, he was the state treasurer, and in 1813, he is listed as the president of the Union Bank, and lived on Society Street.

(The above text was written by DIHS Co-Founder Michael Dahlman for an article that appeared in the April 12, 2007 edition of The Daniel Island News.)

Tree CP-1

Circumference: 12′ 8″

Canopy: 80′

Evergreen

Live Oak Society Member #7482

Located in Bounty St median

Available for Adoption

Tree CP-2

Circumference: 20′ 5″

Canopy: 96′

CENTENARIAN

Live Oak Society Member #7483

Located in Bounty St median

Adopted by

Kandy & Bill Higley

Tree CP-3

Circumference: 10′ 7″

Canopy: 60′

Acorn

Live Oak Society Member #7484

Located in Bounty St median

Available for Adoption